Monday, January 21, 2008

POV

What are your favorite stories to study for POV?

I have a second person story and a collective first (we) that switches to third. I guess I'm looking for quality examples of third person - both near and far, or close and distant, or a little switcharoo, or whatever language it is you use these days.

I'm not so interested in first person at this point, because I think it will be easier to use first person stories to talk about voice, but probably I've got it all wrong.

Also, a dog peed on me a few nights ago. A toy poodle.

4 comments:

jack said...

you might be tired of hearing me throw kelly link's name around, but i'll try to get you my copy of magic for beginners...she is quite adept, i think, at capturing a voice in third.

i'll get you a specific example when i steal my copy back from erin.

rebecca said...

"Theft" by Katherine Ann Porter. I don't have it handy right now, but if I remember correctly it's third person, but if you were to walk away from it you would think it had been written in first. I would be more specific if I had the story, but I typically don't need no KAP at work. Base trim. Corner tiles. Carpet, carpet, carpet.

jack said...

oh yeah, annie proulx: people in hell just want a drink of water. and others, too...from close range. or the first one in heart songs. i have both, if you want them.

rebecca said...

I was going to bring up Annie Proux, too. The Half Skinned Steer is phenomenal, and great for POV, I think.