Sunday, May 18, 2008

Lynda Barry

I'm big fan of Lynda Barry, thanks to Bianca. I teach the first chapter of her novel Cruddy in 1320, and every single semester, there has been at least one student to go out and buy the book and read it and come back to me completely freaked out.

Cruddy is truly the most harrowing book I've ever read. So much so that it took me about three months of putting it down and picking it up again to get through it the first time. I have yet to read it again in its entirety, but it's up there in my top five books of all time.

She's a cartoonist, and she painted the first draft of Cruddy (it's about 250 pages). I'm just saying.

Bianca found this today. She has a new book out about process.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

This is great. "Writing in order to have an experience" is good advice, too.