Wednesday, April 2, 2008

twofold

First, I want to ask about the google groups thing, now that we've all had some time to look at it. A few folks have posted already, which is awesome, and leads me to this question: how does this format feel to you? and will this format serve our needs as writers and readers? and if not, is there perhaps a better venue? If the answers all point to google groups, I'll throw down the deadline (for those of us who really need the deadline to do anything. me.)

Also, I'm reading Watership Down to the boys. It's my favorite book of any book ever, still, after fifteen years of reading a whole bunch of probably much better books, and the boys are enjoying it a lot. I turned out the light tonight and Max asked if there was another Watership Down after this one (he reads a lot of series books like Jaques and Rowling), and I told him sadly, no, just something called Tales from Watership Down, which is not really a sequel. Just a supplement.

And then I closed the door and got to thinking about the trip I took with my family one Christmas to Cancun, and about how I'd gone to the bookstore with them beforehand. It was my first trip to Barnes and Noble. I think I was 19. I got Tales from Watership Down and Shirley Jackson's Just an Ordinary Day. Jackpot. I still remember that plane trip, and the experience of reading those particular books, one after the other. I hadn't even known about these books before I stepped inside the B&N.

Growing up, my bookstores were mall bookstores. My birthday presents entailed trips to B Dalton. I never went to the dismal public library much after elementary school. We had a tiny Hastings in Seguin, but there were few shelves that weren't full of bestsellers and romance novels. In high school, I managed to get my hands on the annotated Lolita there (romance), but otherwise, pickings were slim. I thought that real books could only be found at North Star Mall. That was it. I think I depended on my brother's hand me downs and the scholastic book club thing that came around three or four times a year.

How did you get your books? Before the internet happened? Before monster chain bookstores?

3 comments:

cdee said...

Like you Jackaroo, I didn't get the email notification about stuff on the google group, but I did receive your email saying "I didn't get this" and then I was clued in. The format works for me, because I don't understand how to use it. Yet that is pretty typical for me of all things computer, so it just seems normal. I don't mind changing though if any one wants to.

Book acquisition: When I was in the hospital for the car wreck, we still had to go to "school." (long-term patients) The way I remember it is the teacher came to your room and just gave you books and then she came back and gave you a test. All of my books were about birthday parties and painting houses. I was young, but she set me on fire. When I went back to regular elementary, I realized we had a library, and the rest is...
It's funny. I didn't remember any math lessons from the hospital and in later years asked my mom about it, accused them of giving me a faulty education. Mom says it wasn't that, I just refused learning to multiply.

I went to my first B&N when I was 17 in Lubbock, Texas. I drank fancy coffee that hurt my stomach and felt grown-up.

Amelia said...

Google groups works fine for me. I think there's a function when you publish a thread to send it out on e-mail--I skipped that for some reason when posting mine.

I rocked the public libraries of Tucson and Charlotte through middle school. They would sell their old pulp mystery books in sealed brown paper bags--mystery books in a mystery bag, for a dollar. I still have black is the color of my true love's heart around here somewhere.

Sarah said...

I didn't get the update on Amelia's posting either, but just reading her response right now, it seems like an easy fix and reminder for all of us who post.

I totally took my five dollar allowance every Saturday and walked down to BDalton with my sister. We bought VC Andrews, RL Stine, and Christoper Pike books for $ 4.95.

Before that it was Sweet Valley High and the Babysitters Club.

BDaltons doesn't exist anymore, right?

RIP B Daltons; you were a good friend.