Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The 5 Things Show Comes to Austin

I mentioned a few posts back that I'm thinking of starting a reading series, and now things are starting to actually happen. I found a great venue in the form of the fabulous do512 offices on South Lamar. I've got the date: second Friday of every month, starting September 12.

And now, I have the concept: I buy/find 5 things fitting in a theme and distribute them to five funny people. Fiction writers, poets, standup comedians, improv types, musicians--a good mix for each show. Their goal, in turn, is to create a funny, short (5 minute-ish) piece inspired by their object, which they bring to share. Part show-and-tell, part art. One dollar admission buys the band their beer.

The goal is to have a fun show that brings fun artists together. Because I miss having writers around, and I miss you guys. If you're in town, I hope you can read for me. I have a few spots left for the first show...

5 comments:

molfe said...

Great work, Amelia. Will you please YouTube the shows?

beards said...

This sounds mighty fine. One of these days I'll make it.

Amelia said...

M: That's a great idea! I have a connection with the UT film dept, maybe I can make this happen.

B: I hope you can make it out to read for me sometime. At the risk of sentimentality, I hope everyone can.

Sarah said...

I will def make it, be in, one of these.

jack said...

I would love to be part of it - and even if I'm not (part of every single one, I mean), I'll definitely be there for support.

What a thing! It'll be a lot of fun.