Monday, July 30, 2007

Back in Brooklyn. Much culture shock. Certainly not San Marcos and not Sewanee,TN. I've taken on two more classes at Queensborough Community College. That's three classes for the fall including the one at the King's College--the one in the ESB-- and I think that'll do it for me. I have to see how the load is while trying to finish the novel.

Books by people I met--some new friends.

Currently out is Emily Mitchell's The Last Summer of the World. Check it out. Turns out she'd friends with Stacy Swann out in Cali and went to school at Brooklyn College with my new boss at the King's College.

Next up is a guy I did quite a bit of hanging around with, Jeff Parker. His book comes out this month on Tin House Press and is called Ovenman. This is some funny sh*t. If you like Tom McGuane, Hannah, et al. check it out. Plus, he's a super cool fellow and deserves to be read. I saw a glowing review over on Emerging Writers.

Next is Joshua Furst, another late-night pal from Sewanee. Josh was known to request Replacement songs from yours truly as well as Townes Van Zandt's Poncho and Lefty. He's extremely intellgent and his writing is heartbreaking. Currently, I'm reading his collection Short People. He has a novel--The Sabotage Cafe--coming out at the end of the month on Knopf. If you like smart fiction that plays around with pov check out this book. He read a portion of it at the conference and I was duly impressed.

Finally, a guy names Derik Nikitas has a book called Pyres coming out in October. It falls into the literary genre camp-- a personal favorite--and sounds like Ellroy going for cool style. Derik read on day one. I immediately made a note to buy this book when it comes out and now I encourage you to do the same.

I realized how important it is for US to support new writers. If we don't who's going support us when our books come out?

Ok, that's it for now. I promise not to mention Sewanee again, except to perhaps post a picture of me and Diane Johnson, who I have to say I'm very fond of. Who'd haver thought?

2 comments:

wabby said...

oh bearden, it is good to hear from you!
You mention sewanee as often as you are moved to. It is nice to know what's going on in your world.
Big Congrats on your teaching jobs!

jack said...

thanks for all the recommendations. it's hard to know exactly where to look for the up and coming, especially in big stupid mega-stores.