Monday, July 23, 2007

writing conference update.

more great writers here than you think should be possible. most of those writers are your age. after the initial shock of this, you settle in and are inspired, challenged.

favorite moments so far. seeing barry, richard bausch on the the commandments of writing, rockin some stones front porch style till the wee wee hours, your truly on guitar, james wood, critic and senior editor at the new republic on drums made from trashcans, ashtrays, coffee cans. and oh yes, mr wood seemed to enjoy honky tonk women so much he asked for an encore performance.

making some friends. making new friends who live in NYC. that's real cool.

as for my work, tony e. has upped the anty on my novel. i realize what the novel i'm working on could be and what it is now.

let's see. it seems we are constantly having cocktail parties.

oh, carmen, jill mccorkle seems real cool. i've seen here singing on the porch drinking lite beer. i have a feeling the two of you would be good friends. her reading was excellent.

more later.

5 comments:

cdee said...

It sounds like so much fun, and B I'm glad to see you back on the blog. I know moving takes its toll with online communication.

McCorkle sounds like a hoot. And the rest of them too. I wish I was there.

Amelia said...

I'm loving the Wood/Bearden jam imagery.

rebecca said...

Yeah, the imagery is fantastic. Reminds me of my time, back in the day, at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival, but without the aspiring great-grandmothers and married doctors making passes at me (okay, so maybe some of those, but I'll bet their lines are better than "This is my personal madness, which I cultivate as one would a wild crazy-fruit tree," or, "...that feels now surprising, like two hats on at the same time.")

wabby said...

Oh I'm so excited for you! Was Tony EArley like you thought he'd be? Does he have laser focus?

Sarah said...

That made me nostalgic for a time when I went to a writers conference-which, of course, I've never actually done.