Friday, December 7, 2007

Giving


I propose we all chip in 15-20 dollars to buy a painting of Nathan Altman, former MFA student, who died of cancer a couple of years ago. Matt Stuart painted them, and they are now available for 100 dollars. Half of the proceeds go to Lance Armstrong's Foundation, LiveStrong, and the other half go to the Nathan Altman Creative Writing Scholarship (in conjunction with the Fayetteville Public Education Foundation). Our fiction class might consider donating the painting itself to the department, to the KAP House, or to some other local literary space in need of good artwork.

From Matt's website (www.matthewdstuart.com):

"I am donating 100% of the money collected through the sale of these prints. 50% of the money goes to LiveStrong, the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The other 50% goes to the Nathan Altman Creative Writing Scholarship that Nate’s parents are establishing in conjunction with the Fayetteville Public Education Foundation. I’ll make the donations quarterly in Nate’s name. For more information about the Lance Armstrong Foundation, visit www.livestrong.com.

"To order the signed and numbered print, please email me (mds.art@gmail.com) and I’ll reserve one for you. The cost is $100. The painting is reproduced on high-quality, archival watercolor paper and measures 18 x 24 inches. Once you’ve ordered, please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery."


So, can we search the seat cracks and shake the piggies for a good cause?

6 comments:

Amelia said...

Yes. If you're with Wells Fargo I can transfer you some funds. Call me sometime.

wabby said...

I'm in.

bearden said...

im in

cdee said...

I'm in

Sarah said...

I second what Amelia said.

rebecca said...

Mark & I bought one already, but I'll put $10 toward the group effort. I don't have a Wells Fargo account, so we might have to meet for a beer to exchange funds.