Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A response about neutral vs. emotional lit

Here you will find a blog post about emotional vs. neutral lit. The actual post is less interesting than the discussion that follows, partly because the writer throws emotional lit into hyperbole - even calling it "emotional lit" kind of makes it sound like writers employing the use of emotions are trapped in some Victorian-era psych ward for hysteria cases. Also problematic is that the "neutral" writer is defined as one who "only expresses what actually happens, without including their own judgements," which is actually impossible unless you're some kind of New Critic who believes ultimately that a single interpretation is possible with the right order of words.

If emotional writing acts as "a sort of propaganda" by using emotions to manipulate the reader "into thinking in ways that are not rational," a "neutral" tone (I even have problems with using the word "neutral" here, since it's affected, neutrality is impossible - maybe one reason why the author switches to "dead-pan" to cover his tracks a bit) uses that same kind of propaganda, using emotions to manipulate the reader. The only difference, perhaps, is the goal of the "neutral" manipulation is to get the reader to think in ways that are rational.

In reading the comments on Tao Lin's stories, I see a lot of "I have always felt this way but was never able to express it so succinctly" kind of sentiment. That's the power of neutral writing - it enters your brain like a fact you always knew. On the other hand, "neutral" writing is just as affected as "emotional" writing and, if done poorly, the seams start to show. From one of the blog comments:

I guess I just feel like the overwrought detachment that I see in the work of people like Tao Lin, to me is an empty gimmick. I understand depression, have it myself, but am being finally, I think treated sucessfully. I understand that detachment is a function of the way the modern world with all its technology and distractions makes us and blah blah blah etc...; however, I don't want to read a writer who doesn't see the world as a dynamic, wonderous thing. [...]

Tao Lin responds to the criticism, suggesting that sarcasm or irony are involved and says "that is a kind of thinking that could lead to thinking that you are 'right' and other people are 'wrong' in terms of art," which I think is true and also pretty soundly refutes the blog post they are discussing.

This is all interesting to me because I think I've been pushing harder towards detachment in my own writing over the past few months. It hasn't been a conscious movement, but I read it as funnier, sharper, and ultimately more true when the world happens to a character who observes acutely but is largely unimpressed. In turn, that kind of fiction is most likely to grab me, particularly when it is flash fiction. (My own reasons for writing in terms of fact over emotion may have more to do with the goal of a story as a philosophical statement, but that's a topic for another day.)

Anyway, what do you guys think of this short-form literary nihilism?

7 comments:

cdee said...

I read the article and skimmed some of the commentary as well. It's interesting, but the post itself was problematic for me because of the terminology. It started to seem too simplified to discuss all lit as in either one or another camp, and--even more problematic--to discuss "emotional" vs. "not emotional" without mentioning point of view. I don't think you can fully study use of emotion without repeatedly saying first person, first person, vs. 3rd ominscient, 3rd omniscient, 3rd omniscient. Point of view is one of the primary dictators of how emotion will/can be expressed. Then there are the exceptions that won't so neatly fit into this oversimplified breakdown of "all the literature in the entire freaking universe that has been created or ever will be." The exception I'm thinking of specifically is Amelia's mention of the first person narrator who refuses to overtly judge. (And there's 2nd person which deserves a shout-out, but it's been so long since I've used it, I'll just leave it at the nod.) So I wanted more from the post with apt literary terms of construction, a more comprehensive system of categorizing, but I also wanted to mention that apparently I like both "emotional" and "deadpan." I can quickly tire of gloriousness and metaphor--in extreme cases, I eventually start thinking those characters are crazy. And the deadpan, after a wile and if not well-handled, start to seem too apathetic. My own writing, I prefer deadpan (reference above mentioned risk).

Oh yeah, and this: I was really bothered that the writer of the post repeatedly confused "writer" with "narrator." In one line, he left me with the image that somewhere in the world, this very second, all the "emotional" writers are prancing through a forest, awaiting the moment they emerge and see the sun. I don't think that's true.

cdee said...

Gosh, today I think I do miss workshop. Or friends, like-minded folk.

cdee said...

Why can't I stop responding to this post?

cdee said...

I can't;I really can't.

cdee said...

It's not funny anymore.

Sarah said...

This feels like one of those "first-year" ways to approach a story. Like, "It's too emotional or there's not enough,--what are you scared of?"

I like the guy who responded that art must move you; therefore, emotion is necessary to work, at least at some level, whatever style.

And it seems to me style is really at the heart of this.

He used Hemingway as the "dead-pan" writer. Ok, well what about this:
"Italians came from a long way off to look up at the war monument. It was made of bronze and glistened in the rain. It was raining. The rain dripped from the palm trees. Water stood in pools on the gravel paths. The sea broke in a long line in the rain."

Sure, this quote from Cat in the Rain is deadpan; there is no overtly emotional language. But the way Hemingway uses repetition about the rain is, in my opinion, just like saying: here! here is where I'm sad! the rain means I'm sad!

This only black and only white way of talking about style makes me scream get out of workshop for christsakes. A good story treads between the two. I would never want to read only emotional or only neutral writing. And certain stories call for more or less. I am reminded of what Dago says about doing whatever you want as long as it's good.

For the record, though, I do enjoy emotional writing. And I think it's because I have those moments (alot) where, even though I am not usually impressed by people (except you guys), I am impressed by the natural world.

Amelia said...

Right, and it's true that anything one could possibly write is going to employ some level of artifice. It's interesting that some neutral writers seem to argue that there is less artifice in that neutral writing, when in reality there's often more.

Good points. That was an invigorating six-comment string, cdee!