Tuesday, May 22, 2007

i finished my route work early, so i now have about three hours to sit in front of my computer. i thought, when i started doing the window work, that i would be able to think about stories and fix them in my head while i mopped, squeegeed, and wiped. but as it turns out, i'm instead fixating on everclear lyrics like this:


i think the white men in the black suits
they are the machine.
yes i think that they diminish you
and they diminish me
i think they are the machine.
i can still hear all those people say
la la la la

for hours at a time. that everclear guy, he was angry. but that's about all he had going for him. i'm thinking of investing in an mp3 player of some sort, because spending my days alone with this guy is tedious.

in response to abby's request, here's what i'm reading:
- stuff for ireland
- an awesome anthology called "This Is My Best" (writers pick their own favorite works and introduce them).
- Joyce Carol Oates' "Views and Reviews," in which she rips lucy grealy a new asshole (i wish. not really, but she writes candidly about a lot of contemporary folks).

here's what i've bought:
- beasts of no nation by Uzodinma Iweala
- an ancient Tin House from last summer
- a black shirt with a golden rooster emblazoned upon it

3 comments:

Amelia said...

I had an Everclear song on my CD alarm clock every morning during (I think) my sophomore year at ASU. The lyrics were, Amy goes to school all day / but at night in the neighborhood / they call her amphetamine.

I was also, of course, perfect in that fucked-up way that all the magazines seem to want to glorify these days. Who knew?

cdee said...

I wish I could borrow your rooster shirt.

I am very sad to report that The Bishops Square Rooster is no longer here. I went to Arkansas, then came back to Texas, and poof...no rooster.

Oh dear rooster of mine
Like crowing color.
No, not like,
Because you are
Everything I've ever dreamed of waking up to.

jack said...

i will let you borrow my rooster shirt if you will let me come along on your honeymoon. with max.

okay?