Thursday, May 24, 2007

Project

I spent the last three months working on a story that is now pretty much unsalvageable. I wanted to try the six-month plan for a story, really give it time to mature and blossom into something nice, but instead it feels uneven, and some really great lines are overshadowed by paragraphs and paragraphs of stilted pap. It's like trying to bake a cake in a pan with uneven heat spots, and finding spots of the cake are still raw while others are overdone.

So I scrapped it, for the time being at least, and started a project where I write two flash stories a day, one in the morning and one at night. I have nothing too good to show for it, but it's nice to have a small project.

I also scrapped Gary Lutz--he's great but he gives me a very strange feeling when I can't sleep at three in the morning. I think the feeling is that Gary Lutz is out there, somewhere. Next I'll try Gilead, though I've been warned that I won't like it.

I'm moving to Austin next week. Let me know if you have extra moving boxes I can borrow or take forever.

10 comments:

rebecca said...

I have boxes! Let me know if you want to pick them up.

jack said...

maybe this is all because you're really a poet? weren't you convinced? that you're a poet? and didn't know it?

i'm helping katya move into dao strom's old place around the 1st, so i'll be in moving mode. let me know if you need help.

Amelia said...

Hey, I'll be moving the 1st, too. We should all get together at my new place and be exhausted that evening.

Amelia said...

I am the grandest poet what has ever lived

bearden said...

How about someone lending me a hand moving back to Brooklyn.

bearden said...

Amelia-

Go to a liquor store for boxes. Good size for books.
Laura just grabbed a bundle.

jack said...

bearden, i will move you to brooklyn! i have a truck! tell laura.

Amelia said...

I will sit in a truck going to brooklyn maybe!

Sarah said...

I will also sit in a truck going to brooklyn!!

jack said...

hey, post the flash stories. a couple, at least.