Sunday, October 28, 2007

fantastic advertisements

this year i asked for subscriptions to lit mags for my birthday. my folks got me the believer, swivel, and tin house, and i can say that it's pretty terrific to get these in the mail the week they come out, rather than pore over them at book people and then and berate myself for leaving them behind, for not being serious enough of a writer to take a chance on people i've never heard of. it's better to have the matter out of my hands altogether.

that said, the new tin house came to my house a couple of days ago, and damned if there isn't a full page ad for the texas state mfa program on the second page. lots of famous names! and the rose scholarship number! and frontporch's url. i felt kind of proud and defensive.

also, i'm not all the way through the journal, but i have to say that the aimee bender story, as far as aimee bender is concerned, is not so fantastic. i don't know.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

This is a great idea. I've done my share of berating, as well.

"Proud and defensive" is a great and strange emotion. I spent a lot of time in Tucson feeling that way.