Friday, October 26, 2007

Ring of Fire

So the Witch fire currently burning in San Diego stopped just 9 miles from my house in San Diego. I live in a town called Solana Beach. Behind Solana Beach is a town called Rancho Santa Fe. Beyond Rancho to the east is where the Witch fire started. It traveled very quickly west, toward the ocean, toward my house, at an alarming rate. My mother had to evacuate the house and go manage the crisis unit down at the hospital. I'm sure you've heard about this in the news, but it is the most destructive fire, maybe in the entire history of this nation. To date is there have been a total of 23 wildfires of various danger, and the total acres burned is over 700 square miles! Luckily, on Wednesday, the wind began blowing northeast instead of west, and my house was spared. My mom was allowed to leave the hospital and go back to the house. When I go home in December, I'm sure the devastation will take my breath away. My mom had to leave town the air quality is so poor. She went to Vegas yesterday. I say, good fucking move.

Crazy.


P.S. the article above is a good, comprehensive source--in case you were interested.

Love to you all!

7 comments:

cdee said...

I've been tinking about you Sarah. And I'm glad to know your mom is okay.

You live in Moterrey Bay now? You currently live north of the fires, no? It's still terrible that a neighborhood you love will be so drastically changed. My knowledge of geography sucks. I keep trying to place you and Cal State on my mental picture of Cali.

molfe said...

Thanks for the update. I've been worried sick.

jack said...

i've been listening to npr stories about the fires. i hope you will write about it when you see what has happened.

take care of yourself.

wabby said...

You and your peeps are in my thoughts. Thanks for the article. I see it on the news and still, it is like Katrina, I can't imagine. Miss you!

Sarah said...

Yup. Monterey Bay is about 7 hours away from San Diego. It's close to San Francisco. We can smell the smoke up here.

bearden said...

In our thoughts.

Amelia said...

I always feel the urge to go to Vegas when shit is on fire.