Sunday, June 3, 2007

Radio Ready

I don't know if you like Ian McEwan. I don't know if I particularly like him, though I do remember well the two books of his I've managed to get through: Atonement and Amsterdam. That's something. I heard him on NPR the other day, though, and I very much liked the way he talked about crafting a novella. You can read an excerpt from the novella "On Chesil Beach" here and listen to his interview. It's short.

And Carmen, Phillip Roth announces that organized religion is "delusional" here. !

2 comments:

molfe said...

I'm a big fan of McEwan's short story collections, "First Love, Last Rights," and "Between the Sheets." I think they kick the crap out of his novels.

wabby said...

I heart radio.
Did you get an mp3 player? Are you going to become even more addicted to radio programming than you already are? Is that just one of the things that defines people who write? I started downloading story corps this week. It is like THIS I BELIEVE except without the chicken soup for the soul moments. It makes me cry without fail and for no good reason except that it is beautiful.
I heard that Philip Roth interview too. It struck me as really honest. Even the brilliant Terry Gross seemed sort of flashy and fake next to Roth.