Monday, June 11, 2007

rockin Mexico City, now have strep


Laura and I just got back from deep in the heart of Mexico where we were doing a sponsor project/vacation. We are involved with one of those organizations that let's you sponsor kids--you know "for the cost of a cup of coffee..." We sponsor a little boy in Mexico and a girl in Ethiopia. Anyway, we went down with a group and met our little boy. It was humbling beyond belief.

We also saw some of the sights of Mexico City. It felt a lot like New York and got us pumped to move back to the big city. Here's Laura's blog . Everyday this week she's throwing up pictures of the trip. She started yesterday, so scroll down a little to the beginning.

Also, I picked up strep down there on the last day and Laura got muy inferma in the stomach. Now she's fine and I'm on penicillin and a high doseage of pain pills. Did I mention that I started teaching at Badgerdog today? and that eight of my ten students were born in Korea? and the other two--brothers--are first generation from India? And, oh yes, I start back up again behind the cash register at the Kyle Home Depot. Swing by if you need a peice of plywood or a plunger.

4 comments:

wabby said...

Hang in there at the Depot, friend.
Glad you are back!

molfe said...

looks like it was a great trip. get better soon!

i didn't want to make a new post for this, but denis has a new story (chapter) in this week's summer fiction issue of the new yorker, alongside charles d'ambrosio (film essay), junot diaz, miranda july, edwidge danticat, etc. looking good.

i'm excited to start reading the savage detectives which i bought today in the most fucked up little subsubsubsomething of austin i've ever seen...THE DOMAIN! you probably don't ever need to go there unless i get a job at one of the nice restaurants.

Amelia said...

molfey, did I ever tell you about the time the woman I was interviewing against at NI looked at me with these glassy deer eyes and said, "There are some really nice complexes in this area"?

Yeah, I think she was talking about THE DOMAIN. It's more than a lifestyle center. It's a complex.

molfe said...

omg! molfey got jobby at THE DOMAIN.