Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer (Book) Lovin

Since I don't think I'm going to be allowed out of my cube for a vacation this summer (the lovely ms. Dee's wedding doesn't count because it is only a weekend and I'm going to be so excited that I won't want to pull out my book light and reading glasses), here's some good beach books.
(These are according to the Longhorn Literati--which you'll notice includes Van, my beloved creative writing teacher from undergrad).

The reason I bring this up is that lately I've seen a ton of these types of features (take note ms gray--I smell a very funny satire). There are everywhere: they are on NPR, in those horribly addictive women's magazines, in newspapers, college web pages. I know what Barbara Kingsolver's reading, what maude from that blog I read and michael silverblat from bookworm recommend.

And then I was thinking that in our three years as bobcats, we learned eachothers writing heros and sheros. Bearden =Barry. Tracy = Willa Cather. But I don't know what you read to relax. So...what's in your proverbial beach bag?

8 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh man, this has potential. What's in Pol Pot's beach bag? What's on the big must-read list from the Craigslist guy who's personal ad is looking for married women "because nothing gets too complicated"?

jack said...

i love love love weird ass survival stories. like, lost in the wilderness, hiking the AT, fell down a crevasse, had to drink her own urine stories.

also, memoirs of people who are obssessed with obscure things - like the crazy chaco canyon pot-shard guy. or the dude who sea kayaked all the way around ireland. why? i don't know, and his book never really covered that.

molfe said...

i like train wreck biographies of fucked up rock stars and underground "scenes" and writers. truly. i also like cultural histories such as the history of salt and dumbstruck: a cultural history of ventriloquism. and to piggyback jack, escape stories. i love helping someone escape. and sex columns. i like to read about other people's problems.

right now i'm reading this great article about thomas staley, director of the ransom center. it's in the new yorker's summer fiction issue. has anyone else read this? do you know they have a lock of byron's hair?! most of the article focuses on the acquisition of delillo, though, and makes me want to say "fuck you that's predictable," or "you're so new yorker."

bearden said...

Elmore Leonard

bearden said...

elmore leonard

Amelia said...

I read that article, molfe. I thought there were a few digs in there at the acquisitions guy, don't you think? I laughed at the DeLillo stuff too, though it was interesting to see the evolution of that paragraph in Underworld.

wabby said...

Here's the URL for that article. I read it too.
Mastersofthemiscelany should take a fieldtrip there in the really hot part of the summer.

www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/06/11/070611fa_fact_max

bearden said...

I took the badgerdog kids there today.